Information and Resources
- Virginia Law: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/support/prevention/bullying/
- APS Information: https://www.apsva.us/student-services/bully-prevention/
- National Bullying Prevention Center: http://www.pacer.org/bullying/
- Bullying and Mindset: https://www.stopbullying.gov/blog/2013/10/23/why-we-don%25E2%2580%2599t-use-word-%25E2%2580%259Cbully%25E2%2580%259D-label-kids
- Character Education Program: CARES (2/7/2017 PTA Presentation)
- Responsive Classroom
- Classroom School Counseling lessons using adapted SecondStep curriculum teaching foundational empathy and perspective taking skills in addition to direction bullying awareness and prevention lesson.
- Recognize: mean or hurtful behavior that keeps happening repeatedly, is unfair and is one-sided.
- Report: When you haven’t been able to get mean behaviors to stop, you must tell a caring adult.
- Refuse: If you feel safe, practicing your assertiveness skills, stand up straight, face the person you’re refusing, and use a strong, respectful voice.
- Annual Kindness Assembly during the month October, National Bullying Prevention Month.
- Learning and practicing Growth Mindset skills.
- Encourage your student to let a trusted adult know what is happening:
- Student’s Teacher
- School Counselor
- School Administrator
- Extended Day Director (if occurring in Extended Day)
- Follow up
- Report online using Bullying Report Form