Discovery’s Eco-Action Team is a group of students, parents, teachers, and administrators committed to stewardship of the environment. The Eco-Action Team is modeled upon the National Wildlife Federation’s Eco-Schools USA Program.
In May 2017, Discovery Elementary earned the Green Flag Award from the Eco-Schools USA program.
Our major work on our Pathways for 2016-2017 include:
- Energy: Becoming a certified Net-Zero Energy school by June 2017
- Climate Change: Reducing our amount of waste produced in the coming year, measurable by gathering baseline data this year.
- Consumption and Waste: Reducing our amount of waste produced in the coming year, measurable by gathering baseline data this year.
The team has scoped out a variety of programs, including:
- incentive programs to reduce lunch waste
- collection of uneaten lunch food for donation to AFAC, and possible food scrap compost pick-up
- programs to promote walking, busing, biking and carpooling
- offering items like lunch boxes, water bottles and coffee mugs for sale through the PTA
- production of short videos by students on environmental topics
- outdoor education through gardening and park cleanups
- certification of the school as a Green Flag Eco-School
- making it all fun by creating celebrations and a superhero who visits the school to promote and reward green practices.
Eligibility & Commitment
All Discovery students are invited to join the Eco-Action Team and serve as Green Leaders. Discovery’s Eco-Action Team will consist of all students who commit to completing 4 hours of service, as well as attending monthly Eco-Action meetings.
Eco-Action meetings are held 8:45-9:30 AM in the Library (K-2) and Blue Sky Studio (3-5).
Please contact Dr. Russo if you have questions.