Eco-Action meetings are held from 8:50 AM- 9:35 AM. The meeting will be held in the Dining Commons, unless otherwise indicated. Parent volunteers are welcome at each meeting. Please contact Ms. Burke and Ms. Williams if you are interested in volunteering.
- September 27
- October 18
- November 15
- December 20
- January 17
- February 21
- March 21
- April 25
- May 16
Discovery’s Eco-Action Team is a group of students, parents, teachers, and administrators committed to stewardship of the environment. The Eco-Action Team is modeled upon the National Wildlife Federation’s Eco-Schools USA Program.
In May 2017, Discovery Elementary earned the Green Flag Award from the Eco-Schools USA program.
In May 2019, Discovery will be submitting its application to re-certify its Green Flag. After a school certifies four times as a Green Flag school, it becomes a permanent Eco-School. We aspire to do exactly that!
Our major work on our Eco-Actions Pathways for 2017-2018 included:
- Energy: Becoming a certified Net-Zero Energy school.
- Climate Change: Reducing our amount of waste produced in the coming year, measurable by gathering ongoing data this year.
- Consumption and Waste: Reducing our amount of waste produced in the coming year, measurable by gathering baseline data this year.
The team has scoped out a variety of programs, including:
- incentive programs to reduce lunch waste
- collection of uneaten lunch food for donation to AFAC, and possible food scrap compost pick-up
- programs to promote walking, busing, biking and carpooling
- offering items like lunch boxes, water bottles and coffee mugs for sale through the PTA
- production of short videos by students on environmental topics
- outdoor education through gardening and park cleanups
- certification of the school as a Green Flag Eco-School
- making it all fun by holding class and school-wide celebrations to recognize green practices
Eligibility & Commitment
All Discovery students are invited to join the Eco-Action Team and serve as Green Leaders. Discovery’s Eco-Action Team will consist of all students who commit to completing 4 hours of service, as well as attending monthly Eco-Action meetings.