Discovery’s Eco-Action Team is a group of students, parents, teachers, and administrators committed to stewardship of the environment. The Eco-Action Team is modeled upon the National Wildlife Federation’s Eco-Schools USA Program.
In May 2017, Discovery Elementary earned the Green Flag Award from the Eco-Schools USA program.
In May 2019, Discovery Elementary earned its second Green Flag Award from the Eco-Schools USA program.
In May 2021, Discovery will submit its application to re-certify its Green Flag. After a school certifies four times as a Green Flag school, it becomes a permanent Eco-School. We aspire to do exactly that!
Our major work on our Eco-Actions Pathways for 2017-2019 included:
- Energy: Becoming a certified Net-Zero Energy school.
- Climate Change: Reducing our amount of waste produced in the coming year, measurable by gathering ongoing data this year.
- Consumption and Waste: Reducing our amount of waste produced in the coming year, measurable by gathering baseline data this year.
Our major work on our Eco-Actions Pathways for 2019-2021 will include:
- Energy: Maintaining energy-positive status and implementing our second-generation Energy Dashboard.
- Climate Change: Redesigning our recycling and waste management programs to further reduce measurable waste production compared to prior years.
- Sustainable Foods: Increase student comprehension of food miles and the impact of processed foods, reduce plastic bottle waste per classroom, and implement a composting program that addresses ongoing concerns.
The team has scoped out a variety of programs, including:
- incentive programs to reduce lunch waste
- collection of uneaten lunch food for donation to AFAC, and possible food scrap compost pick-up
- programs to promote walking, busing, biking and carpooling
- offering items like lunch boxes, water bottles and coffee mugs for sale through the PTA
- production of short videos by students on environmental topics
- outdoor education through gardening and park cleanups
- certification of the school as a Green Flag Eco-School
- making it all fun by holding class and school-wide celebrations to recognize green practices
Campus Pollinator Pledge
Discovery Elementary School is a proud signatory of the Campus Pollinator Pledge.
Eligibility & Commitment
All Discovery students are invited to join the Eco-Action Team and serve as Green Leaders. Discovery’s Eco-Action Team will consist of all students who commit to completing 4 hours of service, as well as attending monthly Eco-Action meetings.
Please contact Ms. Annamreddy if you have questions.