Discovery Summer Reading
Summer Reading Ideas to Love – Read and Grow!
- You can find out more by clicking HERE
Fall in LOVE with a new book series or author this summer!
- If you are looking for book suggestions, you can click HERE
- As always you can email – Mr. Re and Ms. Wine – for more suggestions.
MackinVIA –access to over 10,000 ebooks, eAudiobooks and the APS databases
New Simple Way – Looking to read shorter books in one sitting?
- You probably want to use the new universal login.
- Go to MackinVIA.com. You will see 3 boxes. Ignore the top one and fill in the bottom 2 as seen below. Use lowercase letters.
- Here is a quick video to guide you through it and how to search for books.
Looking to read a longer book?
- You probably want to use your regular student ID number and password and check out the book as students always have.
- Here is a video to help.
Great book and educational resources that anyone can access.
- Tumble Books – we now have FREE access to their amazing online resources
- Tumble Book Library – ebooks for students – Username: tumble735 Password: books- here
- Tumble Math Books – math ebooks for students K to 5 – Username: tumble2020 Password: A3b5c6 – here
- Tumble Audio Book Cloud – audio book for students K- 5 – Username: tumble2020 Password: A3b5c6- here
- Arlington Public Library – find out how to access ebooks, eAudio books and eMagazines – here
- Junior Library Guild – Free Online books – passwords no longer needed- here.
- New Videos of Books Read by authors and other folks – frequently updated – here
- Audible Audiobooks – now has FREE access to some of their audio books for students – here
- StoryLine Online – free books read by well known actors – here.
- Toon Books – comic style books to listen to or read online – here
- Time For Kids – parents can sign up for FREE access – here
- Archive.org – read a classic children’s book – FREE to use – here
- Education Companies Offering Free Subscriptions due to School Closings – updates frequently- here
- Kid Lit TV – amazing website where books are read aloud by authors. There are also other great resources to explore. here
- LivBits has a growing list of ways for kids to see authors live or interact live. Go here. They can even write an old fashioned letter to some of them.
- Kate Messner’s website – a growing collection of authors are providing videos and education here
- KidLit Online Schedule – another growing list of ways to interact with authors – here,
- Meet the Author YouTube Channel from the Fairfax network here
- Virtual Field Trips here.
- Museum Virtual Tours here
- Find it VA here
- DK Findout – very visual resource on almost everything – here
- Things to do offline – here
- Students are encourage to – Be Brave, Be Curious, Be Kind
- The library is open before school for book checkout.
- Students in grades 2 to 5 are able to come to the library for book checkout at any time.
- For these grades we also have “unlimited book checkout” – students can checkout as many books they think they can read in a week.
- Access to the more elementary friendly APS databases can be found on the left – see Online Encyclopedias, Social Studies databases and Science databases.
- Once again students can now also accessed databases, ebooks and e-Audiobooks through MackinVIA. On any computer, students can go to www.MackinVIA.com or through the MackinVIA app on their iPad.
Our author visit with Lulu Delacre will be rescheduled for later in the school year. You can also find more information about Lulu and her books at www/LuluDelacre.com
Lunch Time Diversity Book Clubs
- Read a book about someone different than you!
- See Mr. Re or Ms. Wine to learn more and sign up with a friend or two.
Something Fun – Mrs. Lodge’s Library Game
RT @puresonofman: Miles Morales literally said “Anyone can wear the mask” at the end of Into the Spider-Verse yet a lot of you still don’t
Published July 02, 20 2:59PM
RT @adamcbest: Let me get this straight, conservatives think that wearing a mask at Olive Garden to keep people from getting sick is too bi…
Published June 29, 20 5:30PM
Summer must read! - amazing graphic novel for parents and kids - When Stars are Scattered by the inspiring and talented @dantey114 and @JamiesonV You will be moved - You can trust this librarian! @DiscoveryAPS @DiscoveryESPTA @APSLibrarians @APSVirginia https://t.co/I7JMvzv9Qg
Published June 29, 20 5:11PM
.@HRC to Install Monumental Hank Willis Thomas 'All Li es Matter' Artwork on DC Headquarters https://t.co/YDFV6l45WP via @HRC
Published June 20, 20 10:46AM
RT @MisterMinor: Join my friends and me at the #KidLit4BlackLives Town Hall tomorrow. ❤️✊🏾📚 https://t.co/ZJRK0dSJUW
Published June 17, 20 7:36PM