APS Summer Learning
- County-wide opportunities are available at https://www.apsva.us/summer-learning.
Summer Math Reviews
- APS Summer Reviews are now available on the Math Office website (https://www.apsva.us/mathematics/summer-reviews/). Please click the name of the grade or course that your child completed in 2017-2018.
- These reviews are a suggested way in which students may continue to practice what they learned this past year. In addition, we encourage families to try the free Bedtime Math app as a way to incorporate math into an engaging nightly home routine.
Discovery Summer Challenge
- Calling all Explorers! Discuss with you parents and select the badges you want to complete this summer. After completing each task reflect/talk to your parents on how it went.
- The Discovery Summer Challenge form will be coming home in Progress Report folders at the end of school. (If you lose or damage yours, you can get a new copy by clicking here.) Be sure to turn in this form to your new homeroom teacher in the Fall!
- Traveling this summer? Bring a Flat Explorer with you, and take pictures of your Discovery family wherever you are! You can share the photo with the Discovery community, and help show that Explorers explore the whole world, on our Flat Explorer Sightings page!
Battle of the Books
- Open to rising 4th and 5th Graders
- We have 10 copies each of the 7 summer battle books. Students can self checkout these books from a cart in the Discovery front office. We are going old school and using the clipboard method.
- Please only take one book at a time. There is a flier listing the 7 battle books and the 2018-2019 Virginia Readers’ Choice nominees in Peach Jar.
- In September 5 additional battle books will be announced. We battle in early December.
Arlington Public Library Summer Reading Program
- This year’s theme is “Reading Takes You Everywhere”
- Find details on prizes, library events, and how to register by clicking here.
- Use the MackinVIA app on any device or go to MackinVIA.com and login with your school login. Rising 6th graders should have access to the middle school ebook collection by early July.
- On MackinVIA you will have access to APS databases to help you research any question that might pop up over the summer.
- It is never too early to think of creative ways to celebrate dots! Dot Day will be September 14, 2018.
- Think of how you might make your mark during the 2018-2019 school year.