Discovery Elementary School is part of the Arlington Public Schools, and as such is subject to policies, procedures, and management functions that apply to all APS schools.
Acceptable Use Policy
Arlington Public Schools summarizes the policies pertaining to student use of APS-issued technology as the Acceptable Use Policy, or “AUP,” using this language:
Students must understand and agree to the following expectations prior to using APS technology, including the APS network, shared devices, and APS-issued personal devices:
- I agree to use APS’s technology carefully, respectfully, and responsibly.
- I will follow school and APS rules.
- I will follow the APS Acceptable Use Policy.
- I will protect my privacy and the privacy of others.
- I will be safe on the internet.
If I do not work safely and responsibly, I may lose my technology privileges.
Policies & PIPs
Technology in all Arlington Public Schools is governed by the following School Board Policies (SBP) and Policy Implementation Procedures (PIP):
- M-12: Technology
- I-22.214.171.124: Electronic Technologies Acceptable Use (“AUP”)
- I-126.96.36.199 PIP-1 Acceptable Use of Networked Information Resources
- I-7.2.8: Instructional Delivery Options
Devices in the APS program are managed by a mobile device management system, or MDM. This MDM controls the settings on each iPad, for each student. The MDM used in APS is called Workspace ONE Intelligent, formerly known as AirWatch. All device restrictions and settings are controlled centrally by the APS Department of Information Services.
Neither individuals nor schools can modify these settings.
Additionally, only APS-vetted and approved apps that are available in the App Catalog (not the App Store) are approved for installation on APS devices.
To learn about how Internet Content is filtered by the APS Department of Information Services, as required by Federal Law, visit the Blocking Inappropriate Content page.