As required by Arlington Public Schools, all volunteers must go through a pre-screening before helping at or going on field trips with Discovery.
If you have any questions about volunteering, please contact Claudia Tavera in the main office.
Before volunteering at Discovery, you must complete the following actions:
- Complete and sign an APS Volunteer Application found online at https://www.apsva.us/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Volunteer-Application-Form.pdf
- Complete and sign an APS Non-Disclosure and Confidentiality Agreement found online at https://www.apsva.us/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Confidentiality-Form.pdf
- Submit both forms to Claudia Tavera at the main office or email it to her at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Complete the online Safe Schools Training as required by Virginia state law. A link to this site will be sent to you via email by APS. Once you have completed the Safe Schools Training, you will receive a certificate.
- Volunteers must sign in and out for each visit at the main office.
Children under 18 years of age volunteering at Discovery, even if siblings of a Discovery student, are required to have a completed and signed APS Parent/Guardian Consent for Minor Volunteer Application on file. This can be found online at https://www.apsva.us/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/Parent-Guardian-Consent-Form.pdf
Please note that there is a clear distinction between a visitor and a volunteer. A visitor is a person who visits the school infrequently during the school year. A volunteer is defined as an unpaid individual working under staff supervision, who donates his or her time (on an ongoing basis) to assist with activities that enhance instruction and promote learning.
Chaperoning Field Trips
If you are a volunteer and you have completed the process described in the Volunteering section above, you do not need to do anything further; by virtue of that process, you are cleared for chaperone duty.
If you are not a currently-authorized Volunteer, and you want to chaperone a field trip during the school year – including if you are a parent or relative – you must complete the following actions:
- Complete an APS Field Trip Chaperone Application and APS Non-Disclosure and Confidentiality Agreement found online at https://www.apsva.us/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/REVISED-FIELD-TRIP-VOLUNTEER-APPLICATION.pdf
- Return both forms to the teacher no later than 10 days prior to the field trip.